Royal wedding dress to go on public display


Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article titled “Royal wedding dress to go on public display” was written by Ben Quinn, for The Guardian on Monday 2nd May 2011 18.23 UTC

The Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress is to go on display to give the public an opportunity to see the “skilled British craftsmanship” that went into it.

Other designers are already preparing to bring out copies of the dress, an ivory satin gown with a fitted bodice and three-metre train which was designed by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen.

It is not known exactly when or where it will appear although Kensington Palace and the V&A in London are among possible locations.

A number of gowns worn by Diana, Princess of Wales, have been displayed at Kensington Palace, while her wedding dress has been exhibited at Althorp, the ancestral home of the Spencer family.

“The Duchess of Cambridge is considering a number of options to give members of the public the opportunity to see, close up, the skilled British craftsmanship that went into the making of her wedding dress by Sarah Burton and her team as well as the Royal School of Needlework,” said Clarence House.

For months, the dress was fashion’s best-kept secret. Even the team of embroiderers at Hampton Court Palace did not know the identity of the designer until shortly before the public announcement.

People have been queuing to see the duchess’s bouquet at Westminster Abbey. Following tradition, it was placed on the grave of the unknown warrior.

Speculation has also been mounting about where the newlyweds will spend their honeymoon. Prince William is known to have a deep affection for Africa and proposed in Kenya last year, but a Caribbean island is favourite with the bookies.

Clarence House denied claims that the duchess did not know the destination, adding: “The couple planned the honeymoon together.” But she would not comment on media speculation about when or where they were going.

The spokeswoman also denied a report that Prince William would be posted to the Falklands in September.

“There are no plans for the Duke of Cambridge to be deployed to the Falklands in September,” she said.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman added: “We don’t confirm where service personnel are being deployed.”

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010

Published via the Guardian News Feed plugin for WordPress.

Bookmark and Share
This entry was posted in British Royal News and tagged , .

Leave a Reply

***If you don't own your own website, leave the "website" field blank.***
 

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>