A Swedish celebrity magazine has published topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge.
Note: This article is from the Guardian.
A Swedish celebrity magazine has published topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge, less than 24 hours after her lawyers won an injunction preventing a French publisher from using the controversial pictures.
The three-page spread published on Wednesday includes almost a dozen pictures of the duchess. The Danish edition of the magazine – Se og Hør – also said that it will publish a 16-page supplement of the photos on Thursday.
Carina Loefkvist, editor-in-chief of the Swedish Se och Hör (See and Hear), was unrepentant about the publication of the pictures.
“This is nothing unusual, these are quite nice pictures if you compare with other celebrity pictures that we publish all the time,” she said.
Loefkvist added that the magazine, which had a weekly circulation of more than 100,000 last year, bought the pictures last Friday “from photographers and photo agencies, the way we always do” and “before everything erupted”.
Kim Henningsen, the editor of the Danish version of the magazine, said that he was “incredibly proud that we have rights to the pictures of Britain’s future queen”.
“Our readers love to keep up with the famous and royal life and demand revealing news,” added Henningsen.
“It is in Se og Hør’s DNA to entertain and satisfy our readers’ curiosity,” said Henningen in a statement on the magazine’s website. “Therefore, it is always relevant for us when a duchess and the future queen of England is topless.”
Both magazines are owned by Denmark-based Aller Media.
St James’s Palace said that “all proportionate responses will be kept under review”.
The pictures have so far been published in France, Italy and Ireland.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on Tuesday won the first round of their legal battle against Closer magazine in France, which published five pages of pictures of the couple sunbathing on a roof terrace at a private chateau in Provence.
The Tribunal de Grande Instance in Nanterre, near Paris, granted an injunction ordering the French title to hand over digital files of the pictures within 24 hours.
The magistrates ruled that every photograph published in France by Closer publisher Mondadori, the media company owned by former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, in future would carry a fine of €10,000 (£8,000).
But the ruling refers only to the 14 pictures that have already been published. Closer’s editor Laurence Pieau has said she has other, more intimate, pictures.
The French police raided the premises of the Paris-based magazine on Wednesday as they launched their hunt for the photographer responsible for taking the pictures.
Under French criminal law, a breach of privacy carries a fine of up to €45,000 and a jail sentence of up to 12 months.
The editor of the Irish Daily Star, Michael O’Kane, was suspended after publishing the topless photographs on Saturday.
St James’s Palace is still considering its options in relation to the publication of the pictures in Ireland and in Italy, where Mondadori-owned magazine Chi rushed out a special edition on Monday with a 26-page spread.
The photographs were taken while the duchess was sunbathing on a private holiday with her husband at the French chateau of the Queen’s nephew, Lord Linley, in Provence, earlier this month.
• This article was amended on 20 September 2012 to correct the title of the Swedish magazine, Se och Hör: Se og Hør is the name of the title’s Danish edition
• To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000. If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly “for publication”.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010