Two men arrested after break-in at Buckingham Palace

It is believed that the intruder entered a state room after scaling a fence and kicking down a door.

Note: This article is from the Guardian.


Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article titled “Buckingham Palace break-in sparks police security review” was written by Daniel Boffey, for The Observer on Saturday 7th September 2013 16.32 UTC

A full-scale security review has been launched at Buckingham Palace after a man was arrested in a state room after scaling a fence and breaking in.

Police said the unnamed 37-year-old was found “in an area currently open to the public during the day” at 10.30pm on Monday. He was arrested for burglary, trespass and criminal damage. A second man, 38, was arrested outside the palace for conspiracy to commit burglary. The two men have been bailed while the police investigation continues.

It is believed that the intruder entered one of the 19 state rooms after scaling a 12ft fence and kicking down a poorly secured external door.

The break-in will embarrass police whose focus on royal security was said to have been increased following the birth of Prince George in July.

The palace’s state rooms — those designed for monarchs to “receive, reward and entertain their subjects and visiting dignitaries” — have been open to the paying public during August and September for the last 10 years.

The ease with which the man gained access will concern officials, although no member of the royal family was in residence at the time of the break-in.

On Saturday a Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police arrested two men following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace at approximately 22.20hrs on Monday, 2 September.

“One man was arrested for burglary, trespass and criminal damage after scaling a fence at the venue. He was found inside the palace in an area currently open to the public during the day.

“The second man was arrested for conspiracy to commit burglary outside the palace. Both men have been bailed to return to a central London police station in mid-October and inquiries continue.

“A review of the specific circumstances of this incident is being carried out.”

Royal officials insisted there would never be another security breach at the palace following the case of Michael Fagan on 9 July 1982.

Fagan walked into the Queen’s bedroom as she slept, and it was reported at the time that the 31-year-old unemployed father of four spent around 10 minutes talking to the Queen after he had climbed over the palace walls and up a drainpipe.

However, in an interview last year Fagan said that the Queen ran out of the room in her nightdress. A footman then arrived and took Fagan away and plied him with whisky before police arrived.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010

Published via the Guardian News Feed plugin for WordPress.

Bookmark and Share
This entry was posted in British Royal News and tagged , .

Leave a Reply

***If you don't own your own website, leave the "website" field blank.***
 

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>